Man detained on burglary and theft charges

first_imgNewsLocal NewsMan detained on burglary and theft chargesBy admin – December 31, 2012 621 WhatsApp Gardai were alerted to the North Circular Road when the occupant of a house disturbed the burglar as he attempted to gain entry.Earlier this year gardai launched a nationwide crackdown on home break-ins called —Operation Fiacla. This has led to a total of 2,493 people been arrested and 1,404 suspects charged under Operation Fiacla.Figures obtained by a national newspaper last month revealed how 137 major burglars are functioning all over the country. The information showed 30 operating in Limerick, 27 in Cork and 80 in Dublin who are the main target for gardai.Justice Minister Alan Shatter put his support behind the initiative and has vowed to crack down on the country’s most prolific burglars. Print Facebook GARDAI are questioning a man in connection with a spate of burglaries on the North Circular Road and O’Callaghan Strand area of the city.It is understood gardai suspected him of prowling numerous homes over the past few weeks.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Twitter Email Advertisement Linkedin Previous articleFurther adult education for 2013Next articleLimerick welcomes first baby of New Year adminlast_img read more

German football kicks off as Europe begins reopening

first_imgSuch fears have delayed the return of team sport, and on Saturday all eyes were on the Bundesliga’s opening games, which were played to vacant, echoing stadiums.’World looking to Germany'”It’s sad that matches are played in empty stadiums, but it’s better than nothing,” said 45-year-old Borussia Dortmund fan Marco Perz, beer in hand, as he prepared to watch the game on TV.Dortmund’s prolific striker Erling Braut Haaland was the first goalscorer after the two-month shutdown, helping his team thrash rivals Schalke 4-0.He celebrated by dancing alone — away from his applauding teammates — in keeping with the strict hygiene guidelines which allowed the league to return.”The whole world will be looking at Germany, to see how we get it done,” said Hansi Flick, the boss of league-leaders Bayern Munich.Russia has announced its football league will return next month and plans to lift restrictions despite recording its highest daily death toll on Saturday, at 119.Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the government would seek to extend the country’s state of emergency for “about a month”, until the transition out of lockdown is completed.In France, the first weekend after the most strict measures were lifted saw many venture out into the spring sunshine — and hit the beach.In the Riviera city of Nice, keen swimmers jumped into the surf at daybreak.”We were impatient because we swim here all year round,” said retiree Gilles, who declined to give his full name.Here comes the sunWith the Northern Hemisphere’s summer approaching, governments are moving to help tourism industries salvage something from the wreckage.Parasols and sunloungers have popped up on coastlines in Italy and Greece, which opened its beaches on Saturday.Pedri Alatras, who works at the Kavouri beach near Athens, said disinfecting lounge chairs after each customer was a burden, especially in temperatures approaching 40 degrees Celsius: “It’s exhausting but we have to respect the measures,” he said.Officials in England warned people to stay away from newly reopened beauty spots and avoid overcrowding.In Asia, malls reopened in the Philippines’ capital Manila but few shoppers showed up, while in Vietnam, hundreds queued to visit the newly reopened UNESCO heritage site of Ha Long Bay.’A Europe without borders’Germany, under pressure to follow Italy by allowing in EU visitors, instead reopened its border with tiny Luxembourg.Germany also saw the latest in a growing wave of anti-lockdown protests, with thousands gathering Saturday in major cities for rallies.”We want a return to normality and to not have any impediment on our public freedom,” said a protester in Dortmund who gave her name only as Sabine, 50.France, Switzerland and Poland also saw protests.Perhaps the best chance of ending the pandemic is a vaccine, and US President Donald Trump voiced hope late Friday that one would be available by late 2020, “maybe before” — a timeline deemed unrealistic by many experts. But amid an enormous push for medical and scientific tools to fight the virus, the US on Saturday approved a home-based kit for coronavirus tests, adding a simple option for a country eager to expand its COVID-19 testing.Economic havocSince emerging in China late last year, the coronavirus has whipped up a catastrophic economic storm.After Europe’s powerhouse Germany tipped into recession this week, the government on Saturday announced a 57 billion euro ($62 million) aid package to help local authorities weather the onslaught.In the US, the world’s worst-affected country with more than 88,000 deaths and 1.47 million confirmed infections, retail sales have plummeted with no certainty when they might recover.Former president Barack Obama took a swipe at the response to the pandemic ravaging America, telling graduates at a virtual commencement ceremony that many leaders today “aren’t even pretending to be in charge” — a remark widely regarded as a rare rebuke of his successor Donald Trump.”I hope you are bold,” Obama added.Forty-eight of the 50 US states have now eased lockdown rules to some extent. The virus is still surging in Latin America, and Chile’s capital Santiago spent Saturday under its first total lockdown following a 60 percent leap in confirmed cases.Brazil’s virus death toll passed 15,000 on Saturday and it became the country with the fourth-largest coronavirus caseload with 230,000 infections. Peru said it will construct a fast-build hospital in the Amazon in response to infections sweeping through indigenous communities.Topics : Top flight German football kicked off again on Saturday as the French returned to the beach and Italy announced a resumption of European tourism, providing much-needed relief against the relentless drumbeat of death and economic devastation wreaked by the coronavirus pandemic. The reopenings mark the beginning of a tentative return to normality in some of the countries worst affected by the global outbreak, which has killed almost 310,000 people according to official tolls, and infected over 4.5 million.As governments sought to restart economic activity while treading cautiously amid the lingering — though in many cases waning — pandemic, Germany’s Bundesliga became the first major European football league to resume. Italy, for a long stretch the world’s worst-hit country, announced that European Union tourists would be allowed to visit from June 3 and a 14-day mandatory quarantine would be scrapped.”We’re facing a calculated risk in the knowledge that the contagion curve may rise again,” Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said during a televised address. “We have to accept it otherwise we will never be able to start up again.”But as governments lift restrictions to boost stagnant economies, there have been widespread fears of a second wave of infections that could necessitate renewed lockdowns.last_img read more

Baines: Stones will be a top player

first_img Once the European Under-21 Championship is over, Stones is sure to be promoted to the seniors again – provided he continues to put in the kind of display he did on his 24th outing for Everton this season. “He is going to continue to grow and develop as a player and he is going to be a top player for Everton and England,” said Baines, who has 30 England caps. “He has got a huge future ahead of him at international level because not only is he a top-class defender but because of his composure as well. You need a bit of that at international level. “You need to be able to play and when you look at the young centre-halves around the country, John is the best in that respect.” Leighton Baines has no doubt Everton youngster John Stones will become a star for club and country in the next few years. Stones scored his first Everton goal on Sunday in the impressive 3-0 win over Manchester United. From the way Stones shrugged off Antonio Valencia and expertly glanced Baines’ corner past David de Gea, he looked like a seasoned professional of 15 years. Press Association But this is just the 20-year-old’s second full season at the club. The centre-back was plucked from hometown club Barnsley two-and-a-half years ago by David Moyes. The Scot would have been forgiven for cheering with joy as his final signing for Everton played a big role in the hammering of the club that sacked him after just 10 months in charge. Not only did Stones score Everton’s second, he also kept United’s stellar cast of attacking talent at bay, and Baines was keen to praise the imposing centre-back after the final whistle. “His composure for a lad of his age is unbelievable,” the Everton left-back told Press Association Sport. “He is a down-to-earth kid that he just wants to play football, work hard, he doesn’t get involved in anything else and when you are around people like that you just want to see them be successful – and that is the road that John is on at the moment.” After being named on the standby list for the World Cup, Stones started his first England match in September against Norway. The centre-half began a crucial qualifier in Switzerland the following week but he has not played for the senior team since. Injury kept him out of the matches against San Marino and Estonia in October and the player has since dropped down to the Under-21 squad. last_img read more

Tyler Lydon hits 2 clutch 3s, plays heavy minutes at center in win

first_imgTyler Lydon slowly backpedalled into St. Bonaventure’s half of the court with a smile stretching across his face. Trevor Cooney came to bump chests and Michael Gbinije raised both hands in the air on his way to join the celebration as the Bonnies called a timeout.With 3:42 left in the second half, Syracuse’s lead stretched to double digits for the first time all night. A game once in the balance was now firmly in the Orange’s grasp.Lydon logged 31 minutes, the majority of which came at center, and hit two 3s in the second half that helped SU pull away. The first tied the game at 54 with 9:03 left and dug Syracuse out of its last deficit of the game. The second put SU up 10, igniting the Carrier Dome crowd and sending a static Bonnies team back to their huddle.Topped off with a 5-for-5 mark from the foul line and four second-half rebounds, Lydon’s night showed continued flashes of a thorough repertoire in Syracuse’s (2-0) 79-66 win over SBU (1-1) on Tuesday night in the Carrier Dome.“He creates a disadvantage for the other team because then they have to step out and play all five of us,” Malachi Richardson said, “and not just three or four of us.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLydon’s night started off with him exposed down low. Starting center Dajuan Coleman subbed out with 13:54 remaining in the first half and didn’t re-enter until after the break. In his place, Lydon grabbed two boards while a smaller St. Bonaventure front dominated SU in the paint.Denzel Gregg made both foul shots after being fouled by Lydon on a dunk attempt.  Then Dion Wright quickly released a layup before Lydon had time to tap the backboard. And when Gregg slammed home a putback dunk with Lydon standing flat-footed, he watched the ball drop through the hoop with a perplexed look on his face.But after Lydon took Coleman’s spot four minutes into the second half, an offensive rebound, assist and block followed. Minutes later began the stretch of four consecutive fouls shots from the freshman that began building SU’s cushion.“I think that probably helped him get going a little bit,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said.With Lydon’s two late 3s, a pre-practice craft honed by assistant coach Adrian Autry materialized on the court. Lydon’s shown he can be a streaky shooter in practice, his form unwavering as he knocks down shot after shot from deep.But on Tuesday, when Syracuse needed a spark from behind the arc with St. Bonaventure clinging to life, his stroke from deep in the Carrier Dome helped the Orange escape.“I felt like I had a lot of confidence at the time,” Lydon said. “It felt good to get out there and knock down a couple.” Comments Published on November 17, 2015 at 11:46 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Ostapenko first unseeded woman to win French Open since 1933

first_imgPhoto: © pixabay Latvia’s Jelena Ostapenko became the first unseeded woman to win the French Open tennis title since 1933.The 20-year-old came from a set down to beat world number four Simona Halep – 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.Ostapenko began the fortnight ranked 47th in the world – and had never won a tour-level title. Today, Rafael Nadal goes for a record 10th French Open title.He takes on world number three Stan Wawrinka – who knocked out Britain’s Andy Murray in the semi-final.last_img