Fair Oaks Farms Opens Its Pork Education Center To The Public

first_img Previous articleCHS Acquires Second Ethanol Plant In IllinoisNext articleAgrIInstitute Building with Community Foundations Gary Truitt SHARE THE 7,000 sq. ft. Pork Education Center, built directly to the west of the Fair Oaks Farms birthing barn on the farm’s main campus in Fair Oaks, Ind., is now open to the public.  The $4.5 million center complements The Pig Adventure at Fair Oaks in that the Pig Adventure showcases the production side of the pig industry, while the new Pork Education Center showcases the finished product side, with a focus on pig and pork education.Fair Oaks Farms broke ground on the Pork Education Center in May 2014. The official public opening bash is planned for June 28 with the Sizzling Days of Bacon festival.Main features of the new center are a sky trail ropes course that reveals pig factoids as visitors progress and reach higher levels, a custom-built treehouse from the team at Animal Planet’s Redwood Kings and various other pig- and pork-related attractions. The center also serves as the boarding area for The Pig Adventure bus tours.“Responsible, sustainable pork production is a key part of the message in this center,” said Jon Hoek, a member of the board that helped guide and craft the pig centers.The Pork Education Center focuses on food uses and non-food uses alike. “It showcases what pigs do for people,” Hoek said, noting that it includes information on the nutritional value of pork and how the pig is important from a medical standpoint.While the centers are geared toward consumers, Hoek encourages industry leaders to come spend a day or two just being “a fly on the wall.” He said consumers’ concerns are not what they are generally assumed to be: “Things we thought would be problematic with consumers aren’t.”For instance, Hoek said visitors will stand and watch two sows fight and find it funny, but when the back of a sow is gently tapped with a welfare-friendly rattle paddle, they get concerned by what they perceive to be happening.The Pork Education Center, much like the Pig Adventure, provides the opportunity to talk about the issues and to answer people’s questions – something Hoek firmly believes is important to helping grow consumer understanding and acceptance of the industry.At the height of tourism season, Hoek said some 1,500-2,000 visitors a day come to view all aspects of modern pig farming.Later this year, the pig centers at Fair Oaks will be part of an Animal Planet episode that the Redwood Kings shot on site during installation of the treehouse they designed. The segment goes into the barn, where they learned all about pigs.Both pig centers will tie in to the Crop Education Center that is under construction on the Fair Oaks campus. That $14 million center is scheduled to open this fall.A small laying hen operation also is in the works, with the goal of supplying the on-site restaurant. It should be completed by the end of this summer and will likely serve as a model for a larger-scale setup in the future.The Pork Education Center was made possible through the support of industry partners, including the National Pork Board.Only 1% of us make our living from production agriculture. At the same time, consumers are more informed than ever. They care where their food comes from. Fair Oaks wants to educate and provide a venue for that dialogue, Mike McCloskey, chairman of Fair Oaks Farms, said during the groundbreaking festivities last year.All of the new centers join the original dairy education initiative upon which Fair Oaks Farms was first founded. For the past decade, the dairy cows have been attracting hundreds of thousands visitors annually who learn first-hand about commercial dairy production and enjoy some fresh local cheese and ice cream. Fair Oaks Farms Opens Its Pork Education Center To The Public Facebook Twitter Facebook Twittercenter_img Feedstuffs magazine reports: SHARE By Gary Truitt – Jun 9, 2015 Home Indiana Agriculture News Fair Oaks Farms Opens Its Pork Education Center To The Publiclast_img read more

Doras urges Limerick election candidates to demonstrate commitment to anti-racism

first_imgAdvertisement TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! NewsCommunityPoliticsDoras urges Limerick election candidates to demonstrate commitment to anti-racismBy Staff Reporter – April 29, 2019 855 Limerick on Covid watch list Email TAGSCommunityLimerick City and CountyNewspolitics Facebook Print Doras Luimní chief executive Sean McSweeney. Photo: Cian ReinhardtDoras invites local and European election candidates in Limerick to reaffirm their commitment to anti-racism by signing the Anti-Racism Election Protocol 2019 at the Doras office in Limerick on May 1, 2019. The protocol was recently re-launched by the European Network Against Racism Ireland (ENAR Ireland), of which Doras is a member.Since 2001, the Anti-Racism Election Protocol has played an integral part in ensuring that elections have been conducted in an unbiased manner, and that candidates do not incite hatred or discrimination on any basis.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Seán McSweeney, Doras CEO said, “Doras would like to give each local candidate in Limerick the opportunity to sign the protocol to show their constituents that they are dedicated to upholding anti-racism and non-discrimination principles during and following their election campaigns. No candidate should be using hate-speech or racist discourse, and we hope to encourage the voting public to hold their candidates to these standards.”The event will be held on Wednesday 1st  May 2019, at the Doras office, 51a O’Connell St, Limerick at 3pm. Candidates will be asked to sign a hard copy of the protocol in the presence of local media, and will have the opportunity to speak with media representatives regarding their support of the protocol.Candidates interested in attending can RSVP at [email protected] Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites center_img RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleLimerick council asked to build cost of emissions into developmentsNext articleA feast of fun in Castleconnell Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Linkedin Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Twitterlast_img read more

NFF Mourns Death of Two Police Machine FC Players

first_imgThe Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said Wednesday that it is deeply saddened by the death on Tuesday night of two players of Nigeria Women Professional League club, Police Machine Female FC, who were killed by a hit-and-run Jeep driver that ran into about five persons in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital.“It is with deep shock and sense of immense loss that we received the tragic news of the death of the players. It is a very, very sad situation for such young ladies to be cut down in their prime in such manner.“This is a tragedy of immense proportions. We are much grieved. Our hearts go out to the families of the players, Police Machine FC, the Nigeria Women Football League and the entire Nigerian football family. We pray that Almighty God will grant the departed players eternal rest and also comfort those they have left behind,” NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, said on Wednesday morning. Reports said the ladies, Aniebet Ekong and Glory Saturday were crushed by the vehicle as they left their team’s evening training session, with the team due to travel to Lokoja to participate in the Nigeria Women Premier League play-off competition.Another player who was hit by the trailer driver is said to be receiving treatment at a hospital in the Akwa Ibom State capital.Meanwhile, in a swift reaction, the board of the Nigeria Women Football League, to show due respect to the departed players, has announced the postponement, by one week, the kick-off of the Nigeria Women Pro-League Competition.This was contained in a letter to all the four participating clubs: Pelican Stars of Calabar, Moje Queens, Police Female Machine and Olori Babes.“Due to the sad incident that happened in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State on October 1, 2019, where two players of the Police Female Machine FC lost their lives, the NWFL Pro-League 2018/2019 season earlier scheduled for between October 3 and October 7, 2019 in Lokoja, Kogi State has been postponed to between October 7 and 11at same venue.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Aniebet Ekong and Glory Saturdaylast_img read more