News News Receive email alerts Organisation Help by sharing this information News April 27, 2021 Find out more Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes RSF_en January 18, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Google e-mail accounts of foreign reporters hacked, sources endangered China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison China’s Cyber Censorship Figures June 2, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders is deeply disturbed and outraged by cyber-attacks on the Google E-mail accounts of several Beijing-based foreign journalists. The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) sent its members a note today alerting them that at least two foreign news bureaux in Beijing have been the target of attacks by hackers.The warning follows Google’s revelation that the Gmail accounts of several dozen Chinese human rights activists were the target of sophisticated attacks in December.“The hackers who targeted foreign journalists based in Beijing were probably trying to get contact details and information about the human rights activists who talk to the international press,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Compromising these reporters’ communication methods endangers and intimidates their sources and constitutes a serious violation of their privacy, their professional work and their freedom to provide news and information.”The press freedom organisation added: “We firmly condemn these attacks and we call on the ministry of industry and information technology to provide an explanation.”A Beijing-based journalist whose account was hacked told Reporters Without Borders told Reporters Without Borders that his emails were being forwarded to another, unknown account. “I have the feeling that my privacy has been violated,” he told Reporters Without Borders on condition of anonymity. “And so many people have been put in danger by these leaks, it’s terrible.” Last week several human rights activists including artist Ai Weiwei and lawyer Teng Biao said they had been the victim of similar cyber-attacks.The FCCC asked its members to let it know if they have been hacked and advised them to be careful about the links they click on and to ensure their computers are protected against viruses and spyware. To find out whether a Gmail account has been compromised, the FCCC advises its members to:- Log on to their account- Click on Settings in the upper right of the screen, and then on Forwarding and POP/IMAP- And then verify that no unknown email address appears (if it does, they may well have been hacked).A “Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents” on the Reporters Without Borders website offers practical advice and techniques to help Internet users to maintain their anonymity and circumvent censorship, identifying the method that is best adapted for each situation.Google announced on 12 January that it plans to stop censoring the Chinese version of its search engine even if that means it has to withdraw from the Chinese market. It said it reached this decision after discovering that the Google Mail accounts of dozens of human rights activists had been attacked.The US Internet giant is now reportedly negotiating the future of its presence in China with the Chinese authorities. Yahoo! condemned the attacks and voiced its support for its rival, to the dismay of its local partner, Alibaba, but Microsoft has minimised their importance and has firmly announced its intention to stay in the Chinese market.Reporters Without Borders regrets the fact that these leading Internet sector companies, above all Microsoft, have let slip an opportunity to show a united front towards the Chinese and to try together to roll back censorship.Reporters Without Borders also reiterates its support for the Global Online Freedom Act, a bill submitted to the US Congress by Representative Chris Smith that that would prevent US Internet companies from being forced to collaborate with Internet censors in repressive countries. ChinaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on China News ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further March 12, 2021 Find out more
Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago North Carolina Borrowers Receive Foreclosure Relief Money from SunTrust Settlement December 7, 2015 1,259 Views Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Foreclosure Settlements North Carolina SunTrust Mortgage 2015-12-07 Brian Honea in Daily Dose, Featured, Foreclosure, News Tagged with: Foreclosure Settlements North Carolina SunTrust Mortgage Subscribe About Author: Kerri Panchuk Kerri Panchuk is an attorney and financial writer with more than a decade of experience covering real estate, default servicing, residential mortgage-backed securities, retail, macroeconomics, and commercial real estate. Panchuk graduated from the Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law and texas Tech University, Panchuk previously served DSNews.com as online managing editor/producer and webcast anchor. In April, she rejoined the Fiver Star Institute as executive director of member groups, overseeing the development and growth of the National Appraisal Congress and Title and Closing Coalition. Panchuk is a member of the State Bar of Texas. Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Related Articles Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Share Save “Through these agreements we’re holding banks accountable for past problems and preventing future ones.”Roy Cooper, North Carolina Attorney GeneralThe deal was made after allegations from attorneys generals surfaced, claiming the bank violated foreclosure, servicing or loan modification practices, harming borrowers who were already in distress and who may have had other relief options available at the time.“This is welcome relief for North Carolina families who suffered foreclosures done wrong,” said AG Roy Cooper. “Through these agreements we’re holding banks accountable for past problems and preventing future ones.”Cooper’s office says the AG’s settlement with SunTrust is based on the National Mortgage Settlement negotiated back in 2012 with the country’s largest mortgage servicers—Ally/GMAC, Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Citi and Wells Fargo.Cooper previously negotiated a $26-million settlement with Ocwen Financial as part of a larger $2.1 billion deal covering national mortgage servicing issues. Previous: Expanded Loan-Level Dataset Aimed at Helping Investors Support Credit Risk Offerings Next: Merging Landlords See Growing Profit in Single Family Rentals North Carolina residents harmed by mishandled or suspect foreclosures in the aftermath of the financial crisis are set to receive $2 million in cash payments from SunTrust Mortgage as part of a larger $550 million settlement, the state’s Attorney General confirmed in a press statement.North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced Friday that $23.5 million in financial relief will be distributed to roughly 1,400 North Carolina homeowners who had mortgages serviced by SunTrust and who faced foreclosures during the time period running from Jan. 1, 2008, through Dec. 31, 2013.As part of the deal with SunTrust, the bank has forgiven $2.8 million in first liens and approximately $2 million in first and second liens to facilitate short-sale transactions for impacted homeowners.The $2 million payout will provide cash to North Carolina consumers who lost their homes and who alleged misconduct on the part of SunTrust for either unauthorized foreclosures or violations of servicing and foreclosure practices.The North Carolina settlement is part of a much larger $550 million deal that SunTrust struck with 49 states, the District of Columbia and federal authorities. Home / Daily Dose / North Carolina Borrowers Receive Foreclosure Relief Money from SunTrust Settlement Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Print This Post
MailOnline 2 February 2016Veteran campaigner Peter Tatchell yesterday came out in support of a Christian bakery company which refused to sell a cake with a gay rights slogan.He said he had changed his mind about Ashers Bakery in Belfast, who were found to have broken anti-discrimination laws when they declined an order for a cake with the slogan ‘support gay marriage’.The change of heart from one of the longest standing and most widely respected among gay campaigners came in advance of an appeal in the case which begins tomorrow.The McArthur family who run the bakery are challenging the finding that they broke Northern Ireland’s anti-discrimination rules when they refused to sell the cake to activist Gareth Lee.Mr Tatchell said: ‘Much as I wish to defend the gay community, I also want to defend freedom of conscience, expression and religion.’As a result of the court ruling against the bakery, far right agitators could force Muslim printers to publish cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, or Jewish printers to reproduce Holocaust denial material, he added.‘Will gay bakers have to accept orders for cakes with homophobic slurs?’ Mr Tatchell asked.READ MORE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3427354/Tatchell-backs-bakers-gay-cake-appeal-Campaigner-says-changed-mind-firm-broke-anti-discrimination-laws-wants-defend-freedom-religion.htmlKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
“Tuesday is an important game again at home so we have to keep fighting and try to get three points.” Arsenal could have Czech midfielder Tomas Rosicky available again after he missed the Norwich game with a hamstring problem, which could see Jack Wilshere rested. Wenger must also decide whether to recall Mertesacker or stick with his captain alongside Laurent Koscielny. Full-back Nacho Monreal was on the bench at the weekend, and could return in place of Kieran Gibbs, while Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lukas Podolski – who scored the third goal in stoppage-time – are all pressing for a place in the starting XI after impressive substitute displays when they came on to help change the Norwich game around. German forward Podolski, 27, has seen his recent impact limited by injury as well as being utilised more from the bench by Wenger. Despite stories linking the £11million summer signing from Cologne with a swift move away from the club, Podolski, who has 14 goals this season, maintains he is enjoying life at Arsenal. Speaking to the official Arsenal matchday programme, he said: “I did well earlier in the season, then had an injury which put me out for a few weeks, however now I am back and hope to play a big part in the final run of matches – but it is the coach’s decision, of course. “Overall I am happy. You must remember I came from a team [Cologne] that was going down, and it wasn’t so easy to come straight to a big club and be strong. But I believe I have the quality to play in every game here and think I have done well until now. “I have scored some goals and made assists, so I am content, but I will be happiest if we can make the Champions League, because every player – and every team – wants to play at that level.” Press Association Captain Thomas Vermaelen has challenged Arsenal to maintain their momentum towards securing a top-four finish with victory over Everton at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night. The Gunners produced a late rally to come from behind and beat Norwich 3-1 on Saturday, which lifted them into third place as neither Chelsea nor Tottenham were in Barclays Premier League action. It was a fifth straight win on the back of their Champions League victory away to Bayern Munich – an heroic performance which looks to have restored the belief within Arsene Wenger’s squad. Vermaelen, recalled to the side against Norwich as Per Mertesacker was suspended, called on Arsenal to make the most of their new-found spirit when David Moyes’ well-drilled side come to the Emirates Stadium. “We are on a run now. We have got a good momentum at the moment. We are winning a lot of games,” Vermaelen said on Arsenal Player.
Syracuse (10-6) won both its games on the last day of the Patriot Classic on Sunday, beating Monmouth (4-3) and tournament host George Mason (4-7). The 6-1 win against the Hawks served as revenge after the Orange fell to the New Jersey school in eight innings on Saturday, while the 11-6 victory over the Patriots was the second in as many days for SU.Alexa Romero started Sunday’s opener against Monmouth, her third appearance this weekend, and showed no signs of fatigue. The sophomore opened the game with six shutout innings before giving up the lone run in the seventh inning, finishing the complete game with eight strikeouts and her seventh win of the year.The Orange provided her with an early lead thanks to a Hawks error on a fly ball that allowed Sammy Fernandez to score in the top of the first. Syracuse was held scoreless the next three innings before breaking the game open in the fifth. Toni Martin, who had a team-high two RBI, earned both on a triple to push SU’s lead to 3-0. She scored on the next at-bat thanks to a Fernandez single up the middle, one of the shortstop’s three hits in the game.Two more players tallied RBI in the final inning, as back-to-back base hits by Alicia Hansen and Bryce Holmgren drove in the final runs of the game for the Orange.Syracuse kept its offense rolling against George Mason in the second game of the doubleheader, scoring seven runs in the first four innings. The scoring began in the first, when two errors on a Gabby Teran ground ball resulted in Fernandez scoring from first base. SU kept it up in the following inning, as back-to-back-to-back hits by Hansen, Holmgren and Teran brought the Orange’s run total to five. Another error by the Patriots on a Neli Casares-Maher single in the fourth inning scored Teran and Holmgren, but the SU scoring streak was halted there.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAnnaMarie Gatti began in the circle for Syracuse, pitching three scoreless innings before the Orange unraveled in the bottom of the fourth. Four hits and an error resulted in four runs (one earned) and George Mason cut the SU lead to 7-4. The Patriots loaded the bases with two outs, but Baylee Douglass’ strikeout in relief of Gatti got the Orange out of the inning.An RBI single by Martin gave Syracuse an insurance run in the top of the fifth, but it was the following inning that SU iced the game for good. Designated hitter Lailoni Mayfield’s bases-clearing triple upped the Orange’s lead to seven and it was nearly more, if not for Mayfield being thrown out at home attempting to go for an inside-the-park home run. The Patriots scored two runs and loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom half of the inning in one last comeback attempt, but Miranda Hearn got three-straight outs to end the threat.Syracuse begins conference play next weekend when it travels to Blacksburg, Virginia, to face Virginia Tech for a three-game series. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 4, 2018 at 4:26 pm Contact Eric: [email protected] | @esblack34