Henry Schoonmaker develops as scorer for Syracuse after slow start

first_imgSyracuse had taken six shots to start the game, but none went in the goal. After forcing a turnover on Duke’s first possession, Syracuse had the ball for three straight minutes as each shot sailed high, wide or nowhere near Blue Devils goalkeeper Luke Aaron.But when Henry Schoonmaker got the ball nearly 20 yards from the goal, he took a step in and fired a shot that hit the back of the net, setting off a sequence in which the Orange scored 14 of the first 15 goals.“The last two weeks especially we got some output out of him last week, he’s really shooting the ball well in practice,” SU head coach John Desko said. “I saw that with his placement today and what he’s been doing the last week and a half in practice. I think he’s hitting his stride at the right time of year.”Schoonmaker has scored five goals in the past two games after recording just two in the first five. He scored three in the first quarter alone and helped the top-ranked Orange (7-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) get out to a sizable lead in its 19-7 win over the then-No. 4 Blue Devils on Sunday.As the Orange moves forward without starting attack Randy Staats for the foreseeable future, Schoonmaker’s development as a scorer is coming at a crucial time as the Orange gets set to face No. 2 Notre Dame (5-1, 1-0) on Saturday in South Bend, Indiana.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I think I’m being just a little more aggressive out there,” Schoonmaker said. “And I think I’m just getting found more by my teammates and I’ve been moving a little more off the ball.”His third goal came after he chased down a ground ball with 42 seconds to play in the first quarter. He ended the possession by reaching to catch a pass from Dylan Donahue and then winding up and shooting low into the goal for his third score of the afternoon.He’s currently on pace to have the best shooting percentage (.368) and shots-on-goal percentage (.583) of his career.“I think at the beginning of the year, I was a little more hesitant and a little lazy off-ball,” Schoonmaker said. “Now, if I get in open space, I’m a little more aggressive and show a little more hustle. I think my teammates will find me and I’ll put a couple in the goal.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 25, 2015 at 12:15 am Contact Sam: [email protected] | @SamBlum3last_img read more

Kevin-Prince Boateng will rescind decision not to play for Ghana – Muntari

first_imgGhana midfielder Sulley Muntari has revealed his AC Milan teammate Kevin-Prince Boateng is getting closer to rescinding his decision to quit the Black Stars.Muntari also disclosed that the Germany-born player consistently talks about the national team, showing that he still loves the national team despite quitting the Black Stars about two years ago.The 26-year-old stunned the world with his decision to retire from the Ghana national team in 2011 just over one year after securing a nationality switch to play for the country of his father.Boateng’s decision was even more startling especially after excelling with the Black Stars at the 2010 World Cup which helped him to secured a bumper cash move to the Italian Serie A giants AC Milan.Despite quitting the national team, the ex-Germany youth international consistently sent goodwill messages to the Black Stars team during the 2013 Nations Cup.These messages, usually posted on the Milan star’s Twitter page, is seen by many as overtures towards his return to the Black Stars. The German-born’s club teammate, Muntari with whom he played together with during their days at Portsmouth now hints at Boateng’s return.“Prince is a cool guy, he is a good guy. He was having some little problems that is why he decided to stay apart,” he told MTNFootball.com.“But he always talks about the national team so hopefully one day he will change his mind and come because definitely we need him here.”Muntari is one of the star names expected to lineup for the Black Stars when they take on Sudan in a crucial 2014 World Cup qualifier on Sunday.last_img read more

Alisson: ‘I dream of winning the World Cup’

first_imgAlisson BeckerKampala, Uganda | XINHUA |  In the past 14 months, Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker has collected more trophies than most players could only dream of in an entire career.A UEFA Champions League medal in June 2019, was followed by a FIFA Club World Cup triumph six months later. In between, the 27-year-old helped Brazil clinch the Copa America title as tournament hosts.Then, in June this year, Alisson was a part of the Liverpool team that secured the club’s first Premier League crown in 30 years.However, there is one piece of silverware that the former Internacional and Roma shot-stopper has yet to win, and it is the one that he covets most.“I dream of winning the World Cup, of being there [Qatar] in 2022. But we have the Copa America [in 2021] ahead and the [South American World Cup] qualifiers,” Alisson said during an interview broadcast on Brazil’s Bola da Vez television program.“The most important thing is to be included in every squad and win every game we play so that we can achieve our goal of qualifying for the World Cup,” he added.Alisson has been capped 44 times for Brazil and is the undisputed first-choice goalkeeper of Selecao boss Tite, ahead of Manchester City’s Ederson. Share on: WhatsApp He said Tite had instructed Brazil’s players to concentrate, first and foremost, on performing well for their clubs.“Tite says the national team is a consequence of what we do for our clubs during the season and how we take care of ourselves in our daily lives,” Alisson said. “Our preparation has an influence on everything.”“I hope to be a part of every possible national squad while I’m playing. Each match for Brazil is like my first. It’s a big responsibility, given Brazil’s rich football history.”****XINHUAlast_img read more

County champions line up for Woodhall Spa weekend

first_img8 Sep 2013 County champions line up for Woodhall Spa weekend The champions from every English county will descend on England Golf’s headquarters at Woodhall Spa this weekend (14th – 15th September) for their respective national champions event, boys, men and seniors, over the testing Hotchkin Course. All three championships are over 36 holes, the boys on Saturday, the men on Sunday while the seniors play one round on each day. The Boys’ event, which kicks off proceedings on Saturday morning, includes two players involved for England in the recent Boys Home Internationals, Adam Chapman (Windermere, Cumbria) and Harry Ellis (Meon Valley, Hampshire IoW &CI). Chapman (Image © Leaderboard Photography), the Cumbrian boys’ champion, made his England debut in this year’s European Boys Team Championships. He also finished runner-up in the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters and was joint third in the McEvoy Trophy. Ellis was English champion in 2012 which earned him selection for last year’s Home Internationals. He earned his first boys cap in this year’s European Boys Team Championships and was runner-up in the Michel Carlhian Trophy in France, second in the Hampshire Hog and third in the McEvoy Trophy.   Also in the field of 31 boys county champions is Herman Loubser (Mount Murray, Isle of Man) who finished equal fourth in the English Boys under 14 Championship for the Reid Trophy while he made his England debut in the under 16 international with Spain and also played against Wales. Others competing include Jack Dyer (Rochford Hundred, Essex), the English Schools under 16 champion, and three more under 16 caps, Lewis George (Delamere Forest, Cheshire), Harry Hall (West Cornwall) and Christopher Handy (South Moor, Co Durham). The 32-strong field for the men’s event includes John Longcake (Silloth-on-Solway, Cumbria), three times a winner of the English Mid Amateur Championship for the Logan Trophy, who will look to improve on his runner-up spot in the County Champions event in 2008. He faces strong opposition from the likes of Haydn McCullen (Delamere Forest, Cheshire), the Lancashire champion and boys champion and a boy international, who is flying back from representing England in the Canadian International Junior Challenge to compete, and the vastly experienced David Gibson (Cosby, Leicestershire & Rutland), a stalwart of golf in his county. Another challenger could be Bobby Keeble (Crowlands Heath, Essex), another boy cap and runner-up in the Boys under 18 Championship last year, and Kevin Moore (Douglas, Isle of Man), a former member of the England Youth squad and sixth in this event in 2004.   The Seniors’ field of 33 includes several internationals, including the current English and Scottish Seniors Open champion Richard Latham (Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire), who knows the Hotchin Course well as he is the Golf Manager at Woodhall Spa. Latham won the English title at Bristol & Clifton just three weeks after turning 55. He also won the Scottish Seniors Open and Lincolnshire Senior titles and was duly called up to represent England in the European Senior Men’s Team Championships in Hungary.  Other internationals in the seniors event include Latham’s England team-mate Charles Banks (Stanton-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire) and past Seniors champion Chris Reynolds (Littlestone, Kent). The international theme continues with Welsh senior caps John Whitcutt (Burnham & Berrow, Somerset) and Basil Griffiths (Llanymynech, Shropshire & Herefordshire).last_img read more

Groves flies high to win in Dubai

first_img23 Nov 2019 Groves flies high to win in Dubai GEORGE GROVES has claimed a well-deserved victory in the inaugural EDGA Dubai Finale.The world number one and reigning English disability champion earned his place in the field after winning his national title at Stoke by Nayland in September.The Surrey golfer made the most of the opportunity and rounds of 77 and 82 on the Earth Course were good enough to give him a three shot triumph over America’s Chad Pfeifer.In July, Groves finished second in the opening EDGA event of the season held during the week of the Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open at the Renaissance Club in East Lothian.This week there was to be no denying the man from Horne Park Golf Club.Groves took centre-stage in the event which ran parallel to the European Tour’s finale to the 2019 season – the DP World Tour Championship.He said: “It’s fantastic. I’m going to go home very proud of myself, celebrate with my friends and family. It will be really good.“This tour has really changed my life. I think it’s just changed me as a person, changed me as a golfer. I’m just really happy that I’ve actually managed to get into stuff like that.“It’s really good to get us involved and on TV and to show other people with disabilities to get more into golf and, instead of lounging around at home, be confident in themselves and get out there and show what you can do.”Groves has Erb’s Palsy, a condition which leaves him with 20 per cent strength in his left arm after a medical accident during birth.However, that has not stopped him from rising to the top of the rankings for golfers with disability.“When I was younger I was a footballer and I was told to do exercise for my arm,” added Groves.“My parents said do golf. I went to the range one day and I thought this could be something so I took golf up.“To come out and win this, be World Number One, is just incredible. I’m pretty sure I’ve 100 per cent done the right choice.” Photograph credit: Getty Imagescenter_img Tags: Disability Golf, Surreylast_img read more