News News Receive email alerts Organisation Help by sharing this information News April 27, 2021 Find out more Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes RSF_en January 18, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Google e-mail accounts of foreign reporters hacked, sources endangered China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison China’s Cyber Censorship Figures June 2, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders is deeply disturbed and outraged by cyber-attacks on the Google E-mail accounts of several Beijing-based foreign journalists. The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) sent its members a note today alerting them that at least two foreign news bureaux in Beijing have been the target of attacks by hackers.The warning follows Google’s revelation that the Gmail accounts of several dozen Chinese human rights activists were the target of sophisticated attacks in December.“The hackers who targeted foreign journalists based in Beijing were probably trying to get contact details and information about the human rights activists who talk to the international press,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Compromising these reporters’ communication methods endangers and intimidates their sources and constitutes a serious violation of their privacy, their professional work and their freedom to provide news and information.”The press freedom organisation added: “We firmly condemn these attacks and we call on the ministry of industry and information technology to provide an explanation.”A Beijing-based journalist whose account was hacked told Reporters Without Borders told Reporters Without Borders that his emails were being forwarded to another, unknown account. “I have the feeling that my privacy has been violated,” he told Reporters Without Borders on condition of anonymity. “And so many people have been put in danger by these leaks, it’s terrible.” Last week several human rights activists including artist Ai Weiwei and lawyer Teng Biao said they had been the victim of similar cyber-attacks.The FCCC asked its members to let it know if they have been hacked and advised them to be careful about the links they click on and to ensure their computers are protected against viruses and spyware. To find out whether a Gmail account has been compromised, the FCCC advises its members to:- Log on to their account- Click on Settings in the upper right of the screen, and then on Forwarding and POP/IMAP- And then verify that no unknown email address appears (if it does, they may well have been hacked).A “Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents” on the Reporters Without Borders website offers practical advice and techniques to help Internet users to maintain their anonymity and circumvent censorship, identifying the method that is best adapted for each situation.Google announced on 12 January that it plans to stop censoring the Chinese version of its search engine even if that means it has to withdraw from the Chinese market. It said it reached this decision after discovering that the Google Mail accounts of dozens of human rights activists had been attacked.The US Internet giant is now reportedly negotiating the future of its presence in China with the Chinese authorities. Yahoo! condemned the attacks and voiced its support for its rival, to the dismay of its local partner, Alibaba, but Microsoft has minimised their importance and has firmly announced its intention to stay in the Chinese market.Reporters Without Borders regrets the fact that these leading Internet sector companies, above all Microsoft, have let slip an opportunity to show a united front towards the Chinese and to try together to roll back censorship.Reporters Without Borders also reiterates its support for the Global Online Freedom Act, a bill submitted to the US Congress by Representative Chris Smith that that would prevent US Internet companies from being forced to collaborate with Internet censors in repressive countries. ChinaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on China News ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further March 12, 2021 Find out more
ABCBy CATHERINE THORBECKE, ABC News(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) — California committed $1.4 million toward helping Asian Americans report hate incidents and tracking the attacks after a slew of cases — including the murder of an 84-year-old man — has rocked the nation in recent weeks.Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the larger AB85 pandemic budget bill, which includes $1.4 million earmarked for researchers at the Asian American Studies Center at the University of California Los Angeles and the Stop AAPI Hate website, into law Tuesday.California’s move to fund Asian-led community initiatives is markedly different than responses in other parts of the nation, such as New York City’s pledge to ramp up policing.The Stop AAPI Hate site was launched nearly a year ago by a coalition of advocacy groups as the COVID-19 pandemic and its suspected origins in Wuhan, China, led to a new surge in anti-Asian attacks and discrimination in the U.S.The site tracks hate incidents and helps Asian Americans report them in a dozen languages. It has logged nearly 3,000 hate incidents in 2020 alone, though lawmakers believe this is a tiny fraction of the total, as many victims in Asian American communities may not report due to distrust of the government and law enforcement.“I think that’s only about one-tenth, or even fewer, of the actual hate crimes that are occurring, because most people don’t even know the website exists or don’t even know how to properly report a hate crime,” California assembly member Phil Ting, who helped draft this portion of the legislation, told ABC News.“We’ve seen a huge uptick in hate crimes against Asian Americans since the pandemic started,” Ting said. “I know people are upset and angry and they’re looking for people to blame, and unfortunately a few people are blaming the wrong individuals, and they’re blaming Asian Americans.”“They’ve been getting attacked and getting murdered. They’ve been getting spit on,” he added. “It’s been pretty horrific.”Ting said the emphasis on aiding reporting and data collection could help galvanize more action to combat the hate crimes.“Unless you have data, it’s hard to say it’s a problem,” he said. “We all know individual acts of racism exist. Unless you can prove that it’s more widespread than one incident on a corner or one incident in a store, it’s very difficult to justify a larger response.”Ting lamented former President Donald Trump’s use of “China virus” or “Kung flu,” saying these words from the highest branch of government are directly linked to the uptick in anti-Asian racism.“When you see an uptick in hate speech, and I consider that hate speech, there’s always an uptick in hate crimes that go along with it,” Ting said. “Because it just becomes OK to say hateful things towards Asian Americans who have nothing to do with this virus, and then it becomes okay to assault Asian Americans.”“The reason we’re taking a strong stance on this is because hate crimes are not an attack against an individual, they’re really an attack on a community,” he said. “They’re really meant to put fear into an overall community.”Ting implored victims to report the incidents on the Stop AAPI Hate website, which is attempting to break down some of the language barriers and other factors that may lead people not to report hate crimes, even if they have occurred multiple times.“They just try to shrug it off and just say, ‘Hey, this is just something I got to deal with, and I’m just going to move on,’ even though it’s fairly traumatic,” Ting said of many in the AAPI community. “I think in most instances, we just have people who would like to just forget the whole situation happened and move on and do nothing. And I think that’s really why we’re urging our community to please report it.”Richard Pan, the chair of California’s Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus, noted in a statement lauding the new legislation that anti-Asian racism in the U.S. did not start with the coronavirus pandemic.Pan cited a long legacy of xenophobia in the U.S., from the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 to the incarceration of Japanese Americans during World War II.“I am grateful that California will be funding data collection and research at UCLA to address racism and hate against the API community,” Pan added.The Stop AAPI Hate Coalition told ABC News that it has learned over the past year it is “absolutely critical” to invest in documenting, tracking and analyzing the attacks in order to draw attention to the crisis.“The funding allocated to Stop AAPI Hate will support the coalition’s efforts to address the devastating impact of anti-Asian hate, including tracking and documenting incidents in order to proactively prevent future incidents from occurring,” the coalition said in a statement.“The funding will also allow the coalition to expand the resources it can offer directly to impacted community members and families, as well as establish new partnerships with organizations, businesses and governments to develop long-lasting policy and community-based solutions to hate and violence,” the statement added.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Read Also: Chelsea may incur £84m deficit after off-loading ten-name stars But with sides allowed to have 12 players on the substitutes bench in the remainder of the competition, it had seemed more than plausible that Bale – a man who has scored crucial goals in two European Cup finals – would be included. Instead, his relationship with Zidane sours further, with Bale – increasingly unsellable – left in Madrid. Real Madrid squad: Goalkeepers: Courtois, Areola, Altube Defenders: Carvajal, Militia, Ramos*, Varane, Nacho, Marcelo, Mendy, Hernandez Midfielders: Kroos, Modric, Casemiro, Valverde, Isco Forwards: Hazard, Benzema, Vazquez, Jovic, Asensio, Brahim, Vinicius Jr, Rodrygo FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Certainly, he was never likely to start. Loading… Gareth Bale’s status at Real Madrid continues to plummet, after he was left out of the squad for their Champions League showdown with Manchester City. Los Blancos have announced a 24-man traveling party, including ex-Chelsea star Eden Hazard. But as the Spanish champions look to overturn a 2-1 deficit at the Etihad, Zinedine Zidane has not included the Welshman. Zidane has named eight forwards in his squad – but 31-year-old Bale is not among them. Ex-City kid Brahim Diaz, and £60million misfit Luka Jovic have been included. As has young defender Javier Hernandez. Club captain Sergio Ramos has also been named, despite being suspended. Had he not been named in the playing party, then he would have been unable to travel. Bale isn’t the only first-team outcast not called upon by Zidane. Colombian playmaker James Rodriguez and striker Mariano Diaz have both also been left at home. Like Bale, Zidane is keen to cut ties with the pair. Bale played no part in the last six games of Madrid’s La Liga campaign and was omitted from the squad for their final game of the season against Leganes. But as Madrid head to Manchester needing to win 2-0, it is the absence of a potential match-winner in Bale that unquestionably takes the headlines. Promoted ContentPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D GraffitiIncredible Underwater Objects Surrounded By MysteryTop 10 Most Iconic Characters On TV10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?You’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeHere Are The Best Movies Since 1982 You Should Definitely See7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your Mind