Broome County facing $18 million deficit

first_imgCoronavirus numbers: County Economy: He says the projected deficit is a result of declining sales tax revenue. The victims were two males in their 80s and one female in their 90s. The total number of deaths is 28. Broome County is reporting three more deaths from COVID-19 Wednesday. However, the county executive says he is hopeful for economic recovery due to the House of Representatives passing a stimulus package that includes aid to local governments. For a map detailing where cases are located, click here. 259 people recovered from the virus. In total, 377 cases have been reported. However, he says frustrated the previous three packages did not. Broome County May 13 coronavirus update: (WBNG) — Broome County Executive Jason Garnar announced Wednesday the county is facing a projected $18 million deficit.last_img read more

Rodgers: ‘I’ve rejected five clubs since Liverpool exit, but could return in summer’

first_imgBrendan Rodgers claims he has turned down five offers since being dismissed as Liverpool manager last October but may not join a “top club” when he returns.The Northern Irishman was apparently offered the chance to return to Swansea City in December after his former club sacked Garry Monk, but says that is not the only opportunity that has presented itself as he takes a break from football for the first time in five years.”I have had five opportunities since I left Liverpool to get back into work, all at clubs I really respect, but I just felt I wanted to take some time out,’ he said speaking on TV in Qatar.”I spoke to Huw Jenkins, the (Swansea) chairman, and people I know well but I made it clear, I was pretty open. Swansea is a wonderful club, and there were also a couple of other Premier League clubs I could have gone back to, but I was open and up front.”It is very intense when you are in the game,” he said.”I enjoy the scrutiny, and life of being at the leading edge of the game, but that opportunity that presented itself when I left Liverpool gave me the chance to go away for the first time in five years and sit and reflect on how I work and can improve and I hope my next club will benefit from that.” “I had the same situation when I left Reading in December (2009). I had a bit of time out, and my next club, Swansea, benefited from that and it went well, as it did at Liverpool for a period, So I hope this will be the same, I will reflect and then look to get back somewhere by pre-season.”I needed a bit of time out away from football, only for the fact that three-and-a-half years under such scrutiny was really intense. That time out has allowed me to recharge and give time to my family, which is very difficult when you are in football.”After the Christmas period, I really started to watch games again, including my son who is at Swindon. Spending time with family is very important to me. I am enjoying doing some TV work and speaking with players.”Rodgers says he could return to football management during the close season, and will not hold out for a club at the level of Liverpool if the opportunity presents itself. Rodgers spent three-and-a-half years at Anfield after being appointed in May 2012 to succeed Kenny Dalglish, and almost won the Premier League in 2014 with his side finishing only two points behind champions Manchester City.But they finished sixth last season with Rodgers dismissed earlier this season to make way for Jurgen Klopp with Liverpool 10th in the table after winning only one out of nine matches under him.”I will go between now and the end of the season to some clubs and take in some fresh ideas and if the right opportunity comes along in the summer I would really love the opportunity to get back in the game,” said Rodgers.”I am open. It is where I feel I can go in and make a difference: a job that will excite me. It doesn’t have to necessarily be at a top club.’It can be at home or abroad. It is just about finding the right opportunity, one that will excite me to go in and somewhere I can help make better.” –Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Losers Egypt back in 2018 CHAN

first_imgThe Egypt team. PHOTO FUFA MEDIAJohannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Egypt will compete at the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Morocco, despite being eliminated in the qualifying competition two months ago.The Egyptians lost 4-2 on aggregate to Morocco, who are now automatic competitors in the 16-team event having replaced Kenya as hosts.This opened the door for Egypt to be reinstated into the biennial tournament restricted to home-based footballers.African football body CAF ditched Kenya as hosts last month for falling behind with preparations and Morocco were chosen to replace them at the weekend.Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Congo Brazzaville, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Libya, Mauritania, Namibia, Nigeria, Sudan, Uganda and Zambia are the other finalists. A draw on a date to be announced will split the 16 countries into four groups, from which winners and runners-up advance to the quarter-finals.Democratic Republic of Congo (twice), Tunisia and Libya won previous Nations Championship tournaments.FIFA classify CHAN matches as full internationals with results counting toward the monthly rankings.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Access, Aggregation, and Other Big Data Challenges for Startups

first_imgTop Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#Analysis#start In some ways, the term “big data” belies the challenges that startups face in tackling the subject. That adjective “big” tends to get a lot of the attention, often at the expense of the noun “data.” In other words, we spend a lot of time talking about issues of the quantity of data and less time addressing issues of quality.Some of those issues were addressed today at Web 2.0 Expo when Factual CEO and founder Gil Elbaz gave a talk on the challenges of big data. The subtitle of his talk is key here: “Getting Some.” It isn’t simply a matter of storing data, but rather how companies, particularly startups, can access data. Elbaz identified several major hurdles that companies face around data: FindabilityAccessRights and OwnershipEconomics and Business ModelsStandardsIntegration and AggregationTrustThese are challenges for any company, arguably, but for startups, they can be particularly daunting. Elbaz gave the example of building a company based around book data as an example. There are a number of places where data around books can be found – Google Books, Amazon, LibraryThing, for example. But despite the amount of data about books – authors, descriptions, cover arts, reviews and the like – and despite a lot of these data sources having APIs, it’s not easy for a startup to access, utilize, or monetize. And “starting from scratch” to build out a new database would take a lot of resources, something a startup isn’t likely to have.Elbaz argues that it’s important to “grease the wheels” of data, something he sees as part of the mission of his startup Factual, an open data source for location data. This open data model, he argues will move the web towards “information singularity,” as will other efforts like data marketplaces, data search engines, semantic web mark-up, and better standards.Elbaz contends that ownership and control of data will eventually be viewed as a cost and that companies will move towards common schemasand towards sharing foundational data. A new data economy may emerge, he says – an iTunes for data – with novel access methods so that startups can more easily build value-added services on top of big data, rather than having to worry themselves about gathering and storing the data themselves. audrey watterscenter_img Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Herndon motivated to play alongside league’s top guards at Star

first_imgRobbie Herndon. Photo by Randolph B. Leongson/ INQUIRER.netFrom the get-go, Robbie Herndon knew which team he wanted to go to.Though GlobalPort drafted him sixth in the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft, it didn’t take long before the Fil-Am swingman’s wish came true when he was shipped by the Batang Pier, together with fourth rounder Gian Abrigo, to the Hotshots for ninth overall pick Lervin Flores, and second rounders Joseph Gabayni and Julian Sargent.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Louie Alas: Wherever Kevin wants to be, we’ll support him “This is a team I wanted to go to. My heart wanted me to end up in Purefoods and God-willing, it ended up happening. I’m excited and I’m super grateful,” he said.Known as an ace gunner, Herndon will be forced to explore another facet of his game as he joins a Star squad where coach Chito Victolero has put a premium on defense.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAnd this early, the 24-year-old is welcoming the task at hand.“The coach wants his team to play defense, so that’s what I’ll focus on,” he said. “I’ll focus on learning the system, jelling with the players, and learn from everybody from the team.  I’m an offensive player, but I can also play on the other side of the court. I guess it’s time to up my defense a little bit and focus on that.” QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd PLAY LIST 02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd00:50Trending Articles01:07Cops linking 2 drug cases to murder of Tagudin judge – CJ Peralta01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Herndon is also raring to prove himself to the Hotshots faithful as he seeks to find his niche behind lead guards Paul Lee, Mark Barroca, and Peter June Simon.“It’s a huge motivation when you know that you can play with the top players and you feel like you belong with them at the top. It’s a motivation for me to use to keep working hard and I wanted to prove that I can play among the best,” the 6-foot-3 scorer said.center_img Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ View comments Read Next CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s weddinglast_img read more

Jiu-jitsu ace Annie Ramirez clinches gold in emotional win at Abu Dhabi World Pro

first_imgPhilippine Arena Interchange inaugurated FILE – Annie Ramirez during the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games 2017 in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. Photo by June Navarro/INQUIRERMANILA, Philippines—Filipino martial artist Annie Ramirez fought off the United States’ Sophia Dalpra, 5-4, to clinch the gold medal in the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship Wednesday at Mubadala Arena.It was an emotional win for Ramirez, who nabbed her first gold in the competition after a tense final as the 28-year-old had to wait for the referee’s verdict after the 4-4 deadlock in the female purple belt 55-kilogram title match.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Ramirez wasn’t a newcomer to the competition after competing in the World Pro, the more popular term for the tiff, twice in the blue belt division and once in the purple division in 2018.The victory was also of precious timing for Ramirez with the Philippines hosting the 2019 Southeast Asian Games from late November to early December.“I didn’t give up on my goal of winning the gold in the World Pro,” said Ramirez. “It also comes in a time when the Philippines will host the SEA Games in December.”Ramirez is also a judo black belt but switched to jiu-jitsu in 2013 and went on a medal haul ever since.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess LATEST STORIES DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Rockets close out Jazz in 5, advance to 2nd round “This is my first gold in four years in the World Pro and it means a lot to me and my country,” said Ramirez, as per The National. “I got emotional because I have never won a gold on a world stage.”“It was a close fight and with the points tied, it was a long and anxious wait before I was declared the winner,” added Ramirez in The National’s report.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ Although she hadn’t won any international hardware as a judoka, Ramirez tallied gold medals in the Asian Beach Games in Thailand and Vietnam in 2014 and 2016, respectively.“It took me around two years to get adjusted to jiu-jitsu but I’m glad I made the switch.” Read Next Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles03:12Trump: IS group leader killed in US raid in Syria00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss SEA Games hosting troubles anger Dutertelast_img read more

Leicester sign Youri Tielemans from Monaco for club record fee

first_imgMonaco “I believe that we have the talent in our squad to achieve something special and for any player, that’s an exciting thing to be a part of. I really can’t wait to get started again with this club and do everything I can to help my teammates.”Tielemans made 13 appearances, scoring three times, during his loan spell, which involved Adrien Silva moving to Monaco on a similar deal. Silva remains at Leicester after the end of his loan but is unlikely to be one of Brendan Rodgers’ first-choice midfielders.Tielemans leaves Monaco two years after joining from Anderlecht for £21.6m. He joins Ayoze Pérez and James Justin as new arrivals under Rodgers this summer. The forward Pérez cost £30m – the previous club record – from Newcastle while the right-back Justin joined from Luton for a fee that could reportedly rise to about £8m.Rodgers added: “I’m delighted that Youri has chosen to be part of Leicester City’s journey. It’s an incredibly exciting time for this football club and to be able to bring players of Youri’s quality here is an indication of the hunger for success we have here.“Youri fit brilliantly into the squad last season, he’s already shown that he’s capable of making an impact in the Premier League and he adds another option to an incredibly talented group of players here at Leicester City.” Leicester have completed the club-record signing of Youri Tielemans from Monaco. The midfielder takes City’s summer spending to nearly £80m by signing a four-year deal, with the fee believed to be about £40m.The 22-year-old Belgium international, who had been linked with Manchester United, spent the second half of last season on loan at the King Power Stadium. He told the club’s website: “It is such a great feeling to sign for this club. Ever since I arrived on loan last season, all the players, the staff and the fans have been fantastic with me, so I’m thrilled to be able to become a Leicester City player. Summer transfer window recap – every deal from Europe’s top five leagues Read more Share on WhatsApp Reuse this content Transfer window Share via Email Share on Twitter Share on Facebook news Share on LinkedIn Leicester City Share on Messenger Topics Share on Pinterestlast_img read more

The Latest Man who took hostages at UPS facility is dead

first_imgLOGAN TOWNSHIP, N.J. — The Latest on the resolved hostage situation at UPS facility (all times local):5:10 p.m.New Jersey’s attorney general says the armed man who burst into a UPS facility and took two female workers hostage was shot and killed by police after he exited the building with both women.Gurbir S. Grewal’s office says in a statement the man has been identified as 39-year-old William Owens, of Sicklerville, New Jersey.He says officers responded to the supply chain processing facility in Logan Township, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) south of Philadelphia, around 8:45 a.m. Monday over reports of a man with a gun.He says multiple members of law enforcement fired at the man when he exited the building with the women.Gloucester County Prosecutor Charles Fiore says there was apparently a prior relationship between the gunman and one of the women he took hostage.___12:20 p.m.Prosecutors say an armed man burst into a UPS facility in New Jersey and took two female workers hostage before officers stormed in and resolved the ordeal.Gloucester County Prosecutor Charles Fiore says the suspect was apparently shot and injured, but the women were unharmed in the situation Monday at the supply chain processing facility in Logan Township, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) south of Philadelphia.Employee Allen Anthony Dowling tells The Associated Press he heard a fellow worker say someone had a gun. Dowling says he then heard what he thought was a gunshot and began to run along with other employees.Fiore says there was apparently a prior relationship between the gunman and one of the women he took hostage.Police swarmed the area in the morning and evacuated employees.___11:10 a.m.An employee at a UPS facility that is the scene of a reported active shooter situation in New Jersey says he heard an apparent gunshot and began to run.Allen Anthony Dowling tells The Associated Press he heard a fellow worker say someone had a gun. Dowling says he then heard what he thought was a gunshot and began to run along with other employees.Police surrounded an area around a loading dock at the supply chain processing facility in Logan Township, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) south of Philadelphia.Television news footage showed armed officers crouching behind one of the vehicles.In a statement, UPS says it’s working with law enforcement on an active shooter situation, but did not provide details or identify if any employees were involved.Schools in the area were put on a modified lockdown.___10:05 a.m.Police have surrounded a United Parcel Service facility in New Jersey in response to a reported active shooter.Television images show police cars surrounding the loading dock area of the building in Logan Township, about 20 miles (32 kilometres) south of Philadelphia.Armed officers can be seen crouching behind one of the vehicles.A person answering the phone at the township police department says it is an active shooter situation, but didn’t give further details.The Associated Presslast_img read more