RiverNorthPhotography/iStock(NEW YORK) — Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced Thursday that they made the largest fentanyl bust in U.S. history over the weekend, seizing hundreds of pounds of the drug along the U.S.-Mexico border.Officers at the Port of Nogales in Arizona arrested Juan Antonio Torres-Barraza and charged him with two counts of possession with intent to distribute for allegedly attempting to enter the U.S. with a combined 650 pounds of methamphetamine and fentanyl, worth nearly $4.6 million dollars.Nearly 254 pounds of fentanyl was seized, with a value of around $3.5 million.Border protection officers found the drugs in a special compartment of a trailer, which was “laden” with cucumbers, according to the agency.“I want to express my gratitude to the CBP officers involved in this case and Nogales personnel who selflessly perform their duties with dedication, vigilance, and professional even during a funding hiatus,” said Nogales Area Port Director Michael Humphries. “Opioids pose a real danger to our local communities and are having fatal consequences across our nation. This past weekend, our CBP officers were able to stop an enormous amount of these deadly narcotics from hitting our streets.”The nature of this seizure runs counter to what President Trump has said about the way in which drugs enter the U.S. from Mexico.“They don’t come in through the portals, they come in between the portals where you have no barrier,” Trump said, referring to the drug trade in early January. The Port of Nogales is considered a “portal.”On Thursday evening, Trump thanked border patrol agents for the drug seizure.“Our great U.S. Border Patrol Agents made the biggest Fentanyl bust in our Country’s history,” he wrote. “Thanks, as always, for a job well done!”According to statistics released by the CBP, last year the agency seized around 135,943 pounds of cocaine, 2,015 pounds of heroin, and 6,135 pounds of methamphetamine.Fentanyl, which can be lethal, has been at the center of America’s opioid crisis.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Indianapolis, In. — The Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) encourages Hoosiers to use Winter Weather Preparedness Week, Nov. 11-17, as a time for learning and household preparation.Power outages are a major concern during severe winter storms. Snow, ice, high winds and extreme cold conditions may cause above ground power lines to work irregularly or stop working. Winter Weather Preparedness Week provides a chance for Hoosiers to prepare and practice a household emergency plan for utility distractions.Gather warm blankets, sleeping bags and clothing layers to help keep household members warm.Insulate rooms with blankets or other barrier materials over windows and doors.Know how to determine if it is safe to travel and know where to go should the power go out. Identify a friend or family member’s house, or a nearby shelter.Winter Weather Preparedness KitIf the power goes out, remember to call the electric utility company right away. A household preparedness plan for winter weather can help in the event of a power outage. A few suggested items to include in a preparedness kit are:Battery operated or hand crank all hazard radioExtra clothing – hats, scarves, mittens, socksWarm blankets and sleeping bags for insulationWinter Driving HazardsIDHS cautions Hoosiers to limit traveling during severe winter weather. However, if driving is unavoidable, review a few preparation and safety tips before an emergency occurs.Download the IDHS County Travel Advisory Map in the App Store and Google Play Store. The app is updated with county travel statuses from the emergency management agencies and describes the conditions for a travel warning, watch, advisory and caution.Create an emergency preparedness kit for every vehicle. A few suggested items for kits include extra blankets, non-perishable food, jumper cables and spare clothes.Schedule an appointment with a mechanic for a thorough check of each vehicle before a winter storm hits, especially the brakes, battery and tires.Alternative Heating SourcesTo battle the cold bite of winter and high heating costs, many Hoosiers across the state turn to alternative heating sources. During Winter Weather Preparedness Week, State Fire Marshal James Greeson reminds Hoosiers to take extra precautions if these alternative heating sources are used.Appliances such as ovens should never be used for heating. Doing so can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.Do not close the fireplace damper too early while ashes are still hot. Closing the damper too early can force dangerous levels of carbon monoxide into the home.Space heaters should be kept away from loose or flammable objects such as clothing, curtains, bedding and furniture.For more winter weather preparedness information click here.
Attacking frailties blew a Grand Slam tilt this year, with the 23-16 defeat in Wales putting paid to Ireland’s ambitions of a clean sweep. O’Connell vowed Ireland would “keep the faith” with Schmidt’s game plan amid criticism for a lack of cutting edge that compounded defeat in Wales. The 35-year-old lock and his team-mates came good against an admittedly poor Scotland, running in four tries to land the Six Nations title on a six-point, points-difference margin. How it would all have been so different had those Ireland stars who had never worked with Schmidt before had failed to adjust to his unremitting regime. Schmidt’s steely attention to the most minute detail led Leinster to multiple Heineken Cup and Pro12 triumphs. When Munster claimed European glory on O’Connell’s watch, passion and fervour drove the Limerick legion as much as any acumen. O’Connell was typically blunt in 2013 defeat to Wales that unless Ireland married the two approaches, the Schmidt era would have floundered from the outset. “I suppose for a few of us we’ve a little bit to learn under Joe, there’s a lot of technical stuff we need to get right,” said O’Connell in the wake of that November 2013 Australia defeat. “But you can’t lose track of that intensity and that aggression that’s required at Test rugby as well. “You could see how high their emotion was in comparison to ours when we got our turnovers, and that was disappointing from our point of view.” Munster playmaker Conor Murray had just established himself as the British and Irish Lions’ top scrum-half in touring victory in Australia when Schmidt took the Ireland helm. The fast-improving half-back was not prepared to rest on his laurels however, and admitted that Schmidt has since taken him to task at every occasion, badgering him to refine and distil his precision still further. “When Joe came in we were nervous whether he would like you as a player, the style of play and would you fit into that,” said Murray, delighting in Ireland’s second Six Nations triumph. “That was the main part for me. I’m sure for a number of other players too. “As time went on, you knew how good he was with what he had done with Leinster. “It was just taking time to get used to his game plan. “It was a little different to what we have played with before with our province or Ireland, so it just took a little bit of time “But the information he gives you is so clear and so accurate, you see it on the Tuesday in the video room and it does happen on Saturday in an international game. That is no surprise. “He studies the game unbelievably hard and knows it inside out and we are blessed to have a coach like him.” Ireland skipper O’Connell hailed head coach Schmidt’s meticulous mindset in the wake of 40-10 victory over Scotland at Murrayfield that swiped the Six Nations crown once more. Munster talisman O’Connell believes Ireland’s twin glories are wholly constructed on full confidence in boss Schmidt – even in the wake of galling defeats. “He’s right up there with the best I’ve worked with, he is a fantastic coach,” said O’Connell. “I think the trust the players have in what he does and what his coaching staff do is a massive part of why we’re successful. “Certainly times like Australia in the first game, the England game last year, Wales last week, those were times where other teams might question themselves – but we never did. “I don’t think we’ve ever once done that. “There’s a lot of trust and a lot of confidence in the coaches.” Such unstinting praise is a far cry from the fallout from Ireland’s first loss under ex-Leinster boss Schmidt, a 32-15 Dublin defeat to Australian in November 2013 – and O’Connell knows that, too. O’Connell conceded Ireland had “a little bit to learn” in adapting to new boss Schmidt’s approach in 2013, with the head coach citing a “disconnect” among the players for that loss. Not since that Australia defeat could Schmidt label “defensive naivety” as among his side’s shortcomings. Paul O’Connell insists Ireland’s back-to-back RBS 6 Nations titles rest entirely on never once questioning taskmaster boss Joe Schmidt’s intense methods. Press Association
highlights Gonzalo Higuain has not been included in the side for Copa America.Angel di Maria made his post-World Cup return in March ahead of friendlies against Venezuela and Morocco.Argentina has not won the Copa America, or any major international tournament, since 1993. For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Buenos Aires: Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi and the returning Sergio Aguero headed the 23-man Copa America squad announced by Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni. Paris Saint Germain winger Angel Di Maria was also included but there was no place for striker Gonzalo Higuain, who is on loan at Chelsea from Juventus. “These are the best players in an important time for the national team,” said Scaloni on Tuesday ahead of the tournament hosted by Brazil, which begins on June 14. Argentina will play in Group B alongside Colombia, Paraguay and guests Qatar, the 2022 World Cup hosts and current Asian champions. Messi, who only returned to the Argentina squad in March after an eight-month absence following the World Cup in Russia, will turn 32 during the competition.RELATED Di Maria, like Messi, made his post-World Cup return in March ahead of friendlies against Venezuela and Morocco, but Manchester City’s Aguero had not been called up since Argentina’s 4-3 last 16 defeat to eventual champions France in Russia. Another high-profile omission was Inter Milan forward Mauro Icardi, who has been left out of the Italian team’s line-up for the last two months over a dispute regarding a contract renewal. “Keeping everyone happy is difficult,” admitted Scaloni, who said he’d had “doubts right until the end” over the final squad make-up. Argentina has not won the Copa America, or any major international tournament, since 1993, losing in the final in four of the last five editions of the continental showpiece. Squad: Goalkeepers: Agustin Marchesin (America Mexico/MEX), Franco Armani (River Plate), Esteban Andrada (Boca Juniors). Defenders: German Pezzela (Fiorentina/ITA), Juan Foyth (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City/ENG), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax/NED), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Renzo Saravia (Racing Club), Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal/ESP), Milton Casco (River Plate). Midfielders: Leandro Paredes, Angel Di Maria (both Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Guido Rodriguez (America Mexico/MEX), Giovani Lo Celso (Real Betis/ESP), Roberto Pereyra (Watford/ENG), Rodrigo De Paul (Udinese/ITA), Exequiel Palacios (River Plate). Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona/ESP), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City/ENG), Paulo Dybala (Juventus/ITA), Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan/ITA), Matias Suarez (River Plate).