Google e-mail accounts of foreign reporters hacked, sources endangered

first_img News News Receive email alerts Organisation Help by sharing this information News April 27, 2021 Find out more Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes RSF_en January 18, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Google e-mail accounts of foreign reporters hacked, sources endangered China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prisoncenter_img China’s Cyber ​​Censorship Figures June 2, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders is deeply disturbed and outraged by cyber-attacks on the Google E-mail accounts of several Beijing-based foreign journalists. The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) sent its members a note today alerting them that at least two foreign news bureaux in Beijing have been the target of attacks by hackers.The warning follows Google’s revelation that the Gmail accounts of several dozen Chinese human rights activists were the target of sophisticated attacks in December.“The hackers who targeted foreign journalists based in Beijing were probably trying to get contact details and information about the human rights activists who talk to the international press,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Compromising these reporters’ communication methods endangers and intimidates their sources and constitutes a serious violation of their privacy, their professional work and their freedom to provide news and information.”The press freedom organisation added: “We firmly condemn these attacks and we call on the ministry of industry and information technology to provide an explanation.”A Beijing-based journalist whose account was hacked told Reporters Without Borders told Reporters Without Borders that his emails were being forwarded to another, unknown account. “I have the feeling that my privacy has been violated,” he told Reporters Without Borders on condition of anonymity. “And so many people have been put in danger by these leaks, it’s terrible.” Last week several human rights activists including artist Ai Weiwei and lawyer Teng Biao said they had been the victim of similar cyber-attacks.The FCCC asked its members to let it know if they have been hacked and advised them to be careful about the links they click on and to ensure their computers are protected against viruses and spyware. To find out whether a Gmail account has been compromised, the FCCC advises its members to:- Log on to their account- Click on Settings in the upper right of the screen, and then on Forwarding and POP/IMAP- And then verify that no unknown email address appears (if it does, they may well have been hacked).A “Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents” on the Reporters Without Borders website offers practical advice and techniques to help Internet users to maintain their anonymity and circumvent censorship, identifying the method that is best adapted for each situation.Google announced on 12 January that it plans to stop censoring the Chinese version of its search engine even if that means it has to withdraw from the Chinese market. It said it reached this decision after discovering that the Google Mail accounts of dozens of human rights activists had been attacked.The US Internet giant is now reportedly negotiating the future of its presence in China with the Chinese authorities. Yahoo! condemned the attacks and voiced its support for its rival, to the dismay of its local partner, Alibaba, but Microsoft has minimised their importance and has firmly announced its intention to stay in the Chinese market.Reporters Without Borders regrets the fact that these leading Internet sector companies, above all Microsoft, have let slip an opportunity to show a united front towards the Chinese and to try together to roll back censorship.Reporters Without Borders also reiterates its support for the Global Online Freedom Act, a bill submitted to the US Congress by Representative Chris Smith that that would prevent US Internet companies from being forced to collaborate with Internet censors in repressive countries. ChinaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on China News ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further March 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

A Mumbai Police Inspector Moves Supreme Court Opposing Param Bir Singh’s Prayer For Transfer Of All Investigation Outside State Of Maharashtra

first_imgTop StoriesA Mumbai Police Inspector Moves Supreme Court Opposing Param Bir Singh’s Prayer For Transfer Of All Investigation Outside State Of Maharashtra Radhika Roy20 May 2021 9:15 PMShare This – xImage Courtesy : India TodayAn Intervention Application (IA) has been filed in former Mumbai Police Chief, Param Bir Singh’s plea before the Supreme Court, opposing the prayer for transfer of all investigations and inquiries pending against Singh to any other State outside Maharashtra.It is contented that the petition filed by Singh seeking transfer of the investigation to a central agency, outside the State of Maharashtra, is a pure abuse of the due process of law and deserves to be dismissed with costs. Filed by Advocate Vipin Nair on behalf of a Senior Inspector with 27 years of service with the Mumbai Police/Home Department, the IA states submits that the Applicant has “suffered enormous injustice and victimization at the hands of the present Petitioner, since the Applicant had not obliged him by favouring anti-social elements”. It is further stated that the Applicant has never received a single complaint against him regarding any alleged misconduct or misbehavior, and that Singh has used his position and uniform to implicate the Applicant in several false and frivolous cases – “it is further submitted that although the petitioner is trying to pose himself as an upright and honest police officer, the true narration of facts would reveal a completely different picture”. The IA refers to an instance wherein the Applicant, despite having the seniority as well as a “blemishless career with good confidential reports” was not appointed on account of belong to the “Mahar” Scheduled Caste. He had requested the Petitioner to look into the matter, however, on not receiving any response from him, the Applicant approached the State SC-ST Commission. Notice was issued and Singh was directed to appoint the Applicant as a Senior Police Inspector. It has been submitted in the IA that post this incident, Singh “developed prejudice and bore a deep rooted grudge” against the Applicant. It has been further submitted that in a matter pertaining to builders and high profile offences registered against them, Singh had asked the Applicant to stop the ongoing investigation. On refusal to do, it has been alleged that Singh “hatched a conspiracy with his subordinates to place the Intervenor under suspension and thereby, take away the investigation of such cases from his hands and instigated such disgruntled elements to lodge false and frivolous complaints against the intervenor”. As a consequence, four offences were registered against the Intervenor within a span of ten days and he was placed on suspension. Further attempts were also made to silence the Applicant. Submitting that Singh has abused his position as a superior police officer to implicate the Applicant in false cases and thereby, should not be allowed to seek transfer of the case to CBI, the Applicant has sought to oppose the same by way of the instant IA. TagsSupreme Court Param Bir Singh Mumbai Police Maharashtra #Transfer Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more

Miami freshman point guard Lecomte prepares to face SU’s Ennis in rematch

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ He’s not fast, but quick. Not strong, but aggressive. Teammates rave about this freshman’s pass-first nature, and he’s crucial to his team’s lockdown zone defense.“He’s a good player,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “He handles the ball. He looks for people. He’s scoring now.”But he’s not Tyler Ennis. And he doesn’t play for Syracuse.Miami’s 18-year-old Belgian import Manu Lecomte has surged onto the Atlantic Coast Conference scene with a strong three-game stretch that coincides with his return to the starting lineup. In the Hurricanes’ near upset of the No. 2 Orange on Jan. 4, he showcased flashes of that talent with a pair of smooth floaters in the lane.But since, he’s averaged 9.7 points and 5.3 assists in a recent three-game span, including a 16-point outburst in a 56-42 Miami (Fla.) win over Georgia Tech on Saturday. And he brings that increased confidence into the Hurricanes’ rematch with Syracuse on Saturday at 1 p.m.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“When I play against other freshman, I just want to prove I’m better,” Lecomte said. “… I know (Ennis is) a great point guard.”But for all the praise Ennis gets as a mature freshman, Lecomte brings similar poise and experience. He played professionally in Belgium and captained the under-20 national team at just 17-years-old last summer.His 5-foot-11, 159-pound frame and youthful facial features are deceptive and his decision-making is reflective of that — especially late in games.”I’ve honestly learned to trust in him and know that he’s going to make the right decisions,” senior guard Rion Brown said. “As he was telling me earlier today, he’s been getting me a lot of buckets lately. So I can’t complain.”At the start, though, ACC-style basketball was an adjustment for Lecomte. He was accustomed to slower, half-court sets and craftier, more finesse-driven players. He was very passive, Brown said, and seemed like he didn’t know what to expect at times.Probably because he didn’t. Lecomte said the only American basketball he watched was on YouTube, primarily Duke and North Carolina highlights. He never watched ESPN and even when he did get to see the Tar Heels firsthand earlier this season, their signature fast break offense — even off a made basket — shocked him.“That was crazy,” Lecomte said.But with each game he grows more comfortable. After Lecomte lost the starting spot six games into the season — he stumbled through a two-game stretch in which he shot 2-for-12 for only five points and recorded five turnovers to two assists — he bounced back in conference play.He continues to speed his game up and it’s been enough to earn his starting spot back for the Hurricanes.Brown said he sees Lecomte’s aggression improve every day in practice, and compared his late-game composure to that of Shane Larkin, who led Miami to the Sweet 16 last season and now plays for the Dallas Mavericks. Hurricanes head coach Jim Larranaga joked that the freshman now has more trouble figuring out how to handle the media than run the offense.“He’s gotten his feet wet,” Larranaga said. “He’s pretty much indoctrinated into the college game.”Lecomte said he’s excited for a second chance to match up with Ennis. And this time he’s starting.The Hurricanes gave the Orange a scare in its first conference game, and an improved Lecomte could put Miami over the edge.Said Lecomte: “I know I’m a freshman. I’m pretty young. I’m only 18. But like Coach said, ‘It don’t matter if you’re a freshman or a senior, you’ve got to play your game.”’ Comments Published on January 23, 2014 at 12:15 am Contact Stephen: [email protected] | @Stephen_Bailey1last_img read more