9 months agoSevilla coach Machin: Munir wants to be in the front line

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Sevilla coach Machin: Munir wants to be in the front lineby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSevilla coach Pablo Machin has welcomed their deal for former Barcelona striker Munir El Haddadi.Sevilla swooped for Munir last week.Machin said, “He will bring above all competitiveness. He is a good recruit. Not only for the present, but also for the future. “Many clubs wanted him too and he chose Sevilla FC. He does not want to be in the background, but in the front line. Sevilla is an ideal club for him. “We will try to lead him to his best level.” last_img

Volunteer saves life of pet mouse that had overdosed on heroin in

first_imgVANCOUVER – A harm reduction group on the front line of Vancouver’s overdose crisis can now include a small, furry mouse on the list of lives it has saved.Melissa Patton was volunteering with the Overdose Prevention Society in the city’s Downtown Eastside on Sunday when a woman showed up with a pet mouse, saying the animal had eaten heroin.The animal was “pretty comatose,” barely moving and barely breathing, she said.“You can’t really Narcan her because she’s so tiny, like with an injection,” Patton said, referring to the brand name for the overdose-reversing drug naloxone.“So I just put a little Narcan on my finger and I put it on her nose and she wiped it off with her paws and was licking it.”Patton, a pharmacy student, happened to be recovering from pneumonia so was carrying a small oxygen tank with her at the time.“I put that on a super, super low dose and I put that against her nose as well,” she said. “That seemed to help a little bit.”Skin-on-skin contact is important, Patton added, so she kept the animal against her neck and provided water and protein powder through a syringe.By the following morning the animal had made a full recovery, with replenished energy and a renewed appetite.“Right now she really seems to like Cheerios, bananas and strawberries,” Patton said, laughing.Patton named the animal Snuggles after the owner said she was going in for detox treatment the following day and needed someone to look after her animal.The society’s co-founder, Sarah Blyth, said the incident highlights how the organization’s volunteers go above and beyond to look after the approximately 600 clients they see every day.“They’re dealing with emergency situations all the time and they’re just angels, really,” she said.Blyth said it isn’t common that pets overdose but she has heard reports of some receiving naloxone after their owners have left out drugs. It is especially dangerous when children are involved, she added.“People need to know to be careful with their drugs around children and pets,” Blyth said. “Drugs and kids and pets are really just not good.”Blyth added that it was unfortunate that it takes a mouse overdosing for the opioid crisis to make headlines, but anything that brings attention to the situation is a good thing.In the first three months of this year, 347 people died of drug overdoses in the province, a figure significantly higher than the same period last year when health officials declared a state of emergency.Patton said helping pets is part of how overdose-prevention sites care for people.“What is important to the client is important to us,” she said. “If we can take away the barriers that are going to prevent somebody from getting the help then we’re going to do that.”— Follow @gwomand on Twitterlast_img read more

Comedian Mike Ward says Hells Angels protected him after joke about missing

first_imgMONTREAL — The Hells Angels are “very good guys,” Quebec comedian Mike Ward says during the latest episode of a popular podcast hosted by American media star Joe Rogan.So good, in fact, that the biker gang “protected” Ward after outraged Quebecers threatened to kill him over a joke about a missing girl, the comedian told Rogan.“The only corporate gigs I’d ever do were shows for military, police officers or the Hells Angels,” Ward said on the profanity-laced show, which was uploaded Wednesday and already has more than 308,000 views on YouTube alone.“And then I realized,” Ward continued, “that when you talk to a group of cops or a group of Hells Angels — they’re the same guys. They have the same mentality.”Rogan replied, “The only difference is that you can call the cops — they’ll come help you. The Hells Angels won’t do (anything.)”Not true, Ward said.Ward, whose dark and abrasive style has landed him in trouble in his home province, told Rogan that in 2008 he joked about the disappearance of Cedrika Provencher — a nine-year-old girl who had vanished a year before — and Quebec’s revenue agency.Revenue Quebec had frozen Ward’s bank accounts, and Ward shared with Rogan the joke he told at a festival gala about the relentless tax collectors: “If you owe them eight dollars, they’re going to kidnap your little kids. They are the ones who have (Cedrika)!”Three weeks later, Ward said, a popular Quebec television host called Cedrika Provencher’s grandfather live on air and informed him that Ward had made a joke at his granddaughter’s expense.Before long, Ward’s manager was receiving threatening messages. “My manager calls me, and he’s like: ‘There are people who are going to kill you,’ ” Ward told Rogan.Ward said he looked out his window one day and saw people lined up across the street from his home.He said he learned two or three years later that the Hells Angels had stationed people at each end of his street to keep an eye on protesters. “They had told their dudes … to watch the people who want to kill Mike Ward,” he said. He marvelled, “the Hells Angels protected me.”Rogan mused that “a lot of Hells Angels are probably good guys.”Ward replied, “It’s the same with the Mafia guys. If you don’t owe them money, they are good guys.”The Hells Angels are considered an outlaw motorcycle gang by federal and provincial authorities. A war between the Quebec branch of the Hells Angels and the rival Rock Machine during the 1990s and early 2000s left more than 150 people dead, including an 11-year-old boy.Ward is no stranger to controversy.He was fined $42,000 by Quebec’s Human Rights Tribunal in 2016 for making a joke considered in poor taste about a disabled boy.Ward contested the decision, and the matter is still before the courts. He told Rogan the entire legal ordeal is likely to cost him about $200,000.“I’m going to be 97 years old by the time I get the verdict,” he joked.Giuseppe Valiante, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Kristin KreukStarrer Burden of Truth Loses Showrunners

first_imgAdvertisement Noelle Carbone and Adriana Maggs have stepped down from the Entertainment One, ICF Films and Eagle Vision legal drama.The Kristin Kreuk-starrer Burden of Truth has lost its showrunners.Noelle Carbone and Adriana Maggs have stepped down as showrunners on the legal drama that stars Kreuk as a big city lawyer passed over for partnership who returns to her hometown to take on what she thinks is a simple case, only to find herself in a fight for justice for a group of sick girls. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment READ MORE Advertisement Facebook Advertisement Login/Register With: Twitterlast_img

Pivotal law makes children safer in Turks and Caiocos new Protocol signed

first_img#MagneticMediaNews#MultiAgencyProtocol#childreninTCIbetterprotected Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, November 16, 2017 – Providenciales – Children in the Turks and Caicos are today better protected under the law than they have ever been; a major move to bolster the country’s legal framework culminated in a signing ceremony on Wednesday, reflecting nine years of work to see a revolutionary protocol made law.She said the new protocol dictates how to handle cases involving child neglect and abuse, will speed up the process yet make it more thorough and break down any existing barriers between the agencies meant to be heroes to  our children.“It definitely would mean that we would come together more often, have case conferences, case updates and share information on the various cases in child protection that we are working on.”Minister of Home Affairs Delroy Williams said signing the Multi Agency Protocol is a firm statement about how Turks and Caicos wants to see its children treated.   Thomas Browne agrees, saying the TCI was the last overseas territory to sign the document into law, but now the relevant actors when it comes to child protection have a world class framework with more bite.“This document spells out specifically that each agency will be required to do, their timelines, working together, what the community and the country should expect as it relates to child protection.   So it brings it all together and makes it an official document, a guide, your bible for child protection and child safeguarding.”center_img Related Items:#childreninTCIbetterprotected, #magneticmedianews, #MultiAgencyProtocollast_img read more

AK LNG Releases Gasline Workforce Plan

first_imgFacebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska Gasline Development Corporation released their ‘Gasline Workforce Plan‘  which outlines training and educating an Alaskan workforce with the skills necessary to build and operate the Alaska LNG Project. The Alaska LNG Project Gasline Workforce Plan was unanimously approved by the Workforce Board in Seward last week. Governor Bill Walker: “Alaskans know how to build infrastructure, and state funding for public projects should employ Alaskans first.” AGDC Commissioner Heidi Drygas: “Construction of the Alaska LNG Project is hugely important to Alaska’s economy. Not only will construction provide thousands of jobs for Alaskans, but operating the Alaska LNG project will keep Alaskans working for decades to come.” The Alaska LNG Project, estimated at $43 billion, would involve an 807-mile pipeline, along with a gas treatment plant and LNG liquefaction plant, designed to move more than 20 million tons of natural gas per year. It focuses on six areas of opportunity, including training and technical education, developing apprenticeships, increasing the number of students and instructors in necessary fields, and focusing on Alaska Hire and Alaska Bidder preferences. Construction is expected to begin as early as 2019, with gas delivered by 2024-2025last_img read more

Startup bigwigs to attend PMs Startup India event on 16 January

first_imgPrime Minister Narendra Modi’s Start-up India event, to be held on 16 January, will be attended by some big names in the start-up space, such as Japanese SoftBank’s founder Masayoshi Son, taxi-hailing firm Uber’s founder Travis Kalanick and collaborative workspace provider WeWork’s founder Adam Neumann.At the event, Modi will announce an action plan to support early-stage companies in the country.Search giant Google Inc will carry out a session titled “Launchpad Accelerator”, where early-stage start-ups can win $50,000 in non-equity investment by making “live pitches” to investors.Participants can interact with SoftBank president and chief operating officer Nikesh Arora on various issues related to fund-raising. Secretaries of major government departments will also answer queries on how the government will “create an enabling ecosystem for start-ups”.Taking into account the significance of the event in promoting start-up culture in the country, it will be telecast live in all Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and central universities, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) secretary Amitabh Kant told reporters.The live telecast will also be available for youth groups in over 350 districts of the country, according to Kant.Nearly 40 innovators, venture capitalists and angel investors from Silicon Valley, along with 1,500 founders of start-ups, will attend the event.Currently, India is home to 18,000 start-ups employing 3 lakh people, according to former director of Infosys TV Mohandas Pai. Pai expects the number of start-ups to increase to 1 lakh, creating 35 lakh jobs in the next 10 years.Modi, on his “Mann Ki Baat” radio programme’s telecast on 27 December last year, had announced the government would launch the action plan for “Start-up India, Stand-up India” on 16 January, 2016.”The action plan shall highlight initiatives and schemes being undertaken by the government to address various aspects relating to developing a conducive start-up ecosystem in the country,” Kant added.The formulation of the action plan is in its final stage, a government official who was a part of the drafting of the policy told Mint.”We have sent the policy to the Prime Minister’s Office. It is likely to be finalised by 10 January,” he said, requesting anonymity.The event will also witness workshops and panel discussions on topics including “Unleashing entrepreneurship and innovation: What do Indian start-ups need to grow and prosper”, “Celebrating women: Stories of innovative women entrepreneurs”, “How digitisation will change India’s future”, “Making Indian healthcare leapfrog”, “Financial inclusion is within reach” and “Show me the money: How do we capitalize entrepreneurship?””The objective is to reinforce commitment of the government towards creating an ecosystem that is conducive for growth of start-ups,” a DIPP statement said.last_img read more

New Music Venue Opens Doors To Public For Grand Opening

first_img To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: X Listen 00:00 /01:57 Share – / 3Just hours before Thursday night’s grand opening, it was hard to imagine the White Oak Music Hall’s building would be ready to go in time. By 11 AM, dozens of workers were still installing stage lights, power washing the sidewalk, and briskly wheeling cases of beer into the pristine white building on N. Main St. If you head there this weekend and notice a faint, sweet cedar smell, it’s not your imagination. “What we’ve done here is wrapped every single wall in cedar planks,” explains the venue’s co-operator Johnny So. “Not only does that provide a nice, warm visual aesthetic, it also provides a lot of acoustic benefits.”The large space in front of the main stage can fit as many as 1,000 people. There’s also a smaller, more intimate space upstairs with a lounge-like vibe, ideal for jazz or acoustic shows.But there are mixed feelings about the new venue. When the hall opened its outdoor space in April, nearby residents complained about the noise. “We have three children who are disturbed by the bass and decibel level each time they have a show,” says Beth Lousteau, who lives about five blocks from the venue. She’s filed formal complaints with the city.Residents also say the overflow of traffic congests the area’s narrow streets. The hall’s Johnny So says they offer about 620 parking lot spaces. If the outdoor lawn can hold 3,500 people, however, and another 1,200 guests can fit inside, finding a spot could be tough on nights when three concerts are being held at once. There are hopes that more concert goers will use Uber or opt to take the Metro light rail, which has a station about 1/4 mile away. The venue’s co-owner Jagi Katial says they’re working with the community and listening to concerns, adding that they’ve increased the police presence in the neighborhood during concerts and send crews out to clean the streets afterwards. “It’s our responsibility to be the best neighbors we can in that setup,” he says. “That’s our obligation.”The four-day grand opening of the White Oak Music Hall’s interior space runs through Sunday.last_img read more

Police Armed White Man Confronts Black GOP Volunteer

first_imgBy The Associated PressCHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina say an armed white man confronted a black Republican volunteer at a polling place and has been arrested.Volunteer Derek Partee tells The News & Observer that three white people angrily approached him Wednesday at a poll in Charlotte. He posted pictures of the people on Facebook, saying they were calling him racial slurs and threatening him. Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say in a release that the armed man was carrying a BB gun. His identity hasn’t been released yet.(Courtesy Photo/Derek L Partee, Facebook)Partee says the people approached him asking about his party, but “they didn’t care whether I was a Democrat or a Republican, they just cared that I was black.” Police say the other people won’t be charged because they were found to have not violated any laws.___Information from: The News & Observer, http://www.newsobserver.comlast_img read more